Hello everyone. Well, we have arrived in Anchorage, AK. It's been a long trip and we now know why people who make the journey stay. Between the weather, treacherous roads, vast wilderness, and sheer beauty who would want to leave. Your so exhausted when you get here and you don't want to think about the return trip. Our journey so far has been 7,151 miles. We feel good and are going to spend a couple of day's here. I have posted the missing day's post's for those of you that are daily followers. Once again, we would like to thank everyone who has commented on our blog, please keep them coming. We left mile 1225 around 8:30a.m. and headed for Tok, AK. The Lord finally blessed us with what appeared to be a nice day. The roads were not as good as we had been told. It felt like we were on a kiddie roller coaster. Our speed was reduced to 45 to 50m.p.h. and we kept coming upon road construction. The scenery consisted of Pine trees and bogs. The mountains had a rolling effect and were green. Pretty boring after riding through similar scenery for miles. We stopped in Tok and had lunch with a couple who were riding to Fairbanks from Colorado. We headed out from Tok and rode south west to Anchorage. The roads showed some improvement but the sky looked like it was going to rain, again. The majestic mountains lay ahead and we could see them off in the distance. Covered in snow and reaching into the clouds you couldn't see the summits. The landscape was improving in it's beauty as we rose in elevation. We were traveling through the range and the river was amazing. Just when you think you saw the most spectacular view, another one would be just around the next curve. The towns were spread around 80 to 90 miles apart and pretty much looked like the rest that were on the Alaskan Highway. Small, R.V. Parks, gas stations, and a motel. It rained very little along the journey today and it wasn't a nuisance. Just when it looked like we were going to get drenched, the road would wind away from where the rain was. This was an answer to prayer. Tracy and I have had enough of the rain for a while and needed the break. We pulled over in Eureka, AK and looked a Mt. McKinley and it's amazing glacier. What a sight, and to be so close was a dream come true. I cant say enough that you need to see it for yourself to bask in it's glory. What an awesome God we have to give us such wonderful sights. We stopped at a small filling station and I had a nice conversation with the owner about Jesus. She too is a Christian. She gave me a lithograph of the Northern Lights because she figures we would not see them while we are here. I had told her that is one of the reasons I was here. We headed out and continued along the highway. About 75 miles from Anchorage were stopped for fuel at another small station in Chickaloon, AK. This time we chatted with the woman who worked there. She lived in Amherst for a year in 1971. We fellowshipped and found out she was Jewish. I told her about Jesus and what He has done in my life. She said that we made her day and felt blessed. When we arrived Palmer civilization appeared out of no where. The town was about the size of Batavia and the highway expanded to four lanes. Anchorage was only thirty five miles away. The speed limit picked up to 65 and we were on our way. We arrived in Anchorage at 8:40p.m. and checked in to a Red Roof Inn near the airport. This city has grown in the past twenty five years (last time I was here). Were going to search out Dr. Congdon in the morning. I have his office address and phone number. I got his answering machine and we hope he's not in the lower 48 this week. Sorry the pictures are not up to date but Internet service is not the greatest here. Time for bed, its been another long day. Thanks for your prayers and please keep them coming. God Bless....
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Tracy and Matt,
I had always wanted to do that trip. I feel as though I am doing so through you both now, but I'm warm and dry. Great pictures and God is great. Always in my prayers. May Gods favor be over you. Miss ya!
Love
Kathy
Hi Matt an Tracy Figured out how towork this blog. We have been following you on a daily basis. Keep it up. Judy says that you should be a writer.Anyway all iswell here we have had some hot weather here,I should sendyou some. Sorry that the weatherhas not been the greatest, but I know that the sights are out of this world. Wehave also been thru the mtns out west and know how the sights are out there, So take lots of pictures to show us when you get back.I hope that the weatheris better on the return trip. We send our love and GOD BLESS you both.-PETE-
Post a Comment