Good evening from Tok, Alaska. Our day started like most, rain. We figured it to be so because we were leaving today. Well, we headed out of Anchorage toward the Alaskan Highway. It took us a while to get around the detour but when we did, it was smooth sailing. It rained lightly as we headed north. I had contacted the prison in Palmer and the supervisor offered me a tour. Palmer is a small town north of Anchorage and is surrounded by the mountains. We arrived a the prison around 11:45a.m. and the officer at the front gate was expecting us. Officer Jansson was a pleasure to talk to as she processed me in. After she logged me in she contacted the shift commander, Sgt. Weatherup. I rode the bike past the gate and toward the main compound. Sgt. Weatherup met me at the gate and buzzed me in. It was a real pleasure meeting Marty, a fellow Christian. He escorted me through the tiny facility and introduced me to many of his officers. I was shocked at the size of the facility. It only houses a couple of hundred inmates. It resembled a college campus instead of a correctional facility. Several small units made of wood an old facility but well maintained. The walkways had roof's over them. It was a real blessing to find out that the state allows a special dorm that is faith based. The inmates keep each other in check and the dormitory revolves around a strong scriptural guideline. We continued our tour for around an hour and there was no “tension” like at Attica. I thanked Marty for the tour and before I left he prayed for Tracy and I. Tracy had been waiting at the front gate chatting with officer Jansson. When I returned to the front gate they were eating Caribou. They had saved me a piece and I'm glad they did. It was outstanding. We continued on our way through the rain. It was difficult to see the mountains because the clouds surrounded them. It would rain for a while then stop. We traveled through the winding road praying for a little relief from the rain. God is good, he answered our prayers. It seemed like when it was about to rain on us the road would wind away from it. The view was the same as when we past it several days ago. Mountains covered with snow surrounded by clouds. It is still a magnificent view even when you are went and cold. We made good time all things considered. We stopped for gas in Chickaloon again and chatted with Jean again. I gave her a Salvation card and we are praying for her. She is Jewish and is seeking. Please keep her in prayer. We continued on our way and the clouds started to break. We arrived in Tok around 7:00p.m. and stopped at Bear Lodge to get a souvenir. We were going to go to the hotel at mile 1225 but we didn't have a reservation and the roads were loaded with traffic. We decided to stay at the Bear Lodge and call it a night. Tracy and I are watching The God Father 3 and are about ready to sleep. The weather looks promising for tomorrow so we plan on a long ride. Once again we are entering the No Communication Zone so our posts will be delayed. God Bless and good night for now.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment